Our Mission, Vision & Core Values
Inspire youth and adults to be healthy and active citizens through organic gardening, environmental stewardship, and nutrition education.
A community free of diet-related health conditions and a thriving environment.
- Equity – Inclusive and culturally responsive, we are committed to acting with respect, openness, and a desire to understand, value, and support our community.
- Integrity – Guided by honesty, loyalty, and a commitment to confidentiality, Olivewood Gardens is responsive and respectful to the needs of all our program participants, guests, volunteers, donors and staff. We pride ourselves in doing what we say we are going to do and creating a safe space for our community
- Transformative – Using innovation and data-driven approaches, Olivewood’s activities create deep, impactful, and sustainable change
- Community – Olivewood welcomes all residents of National City, south San Diego and beyond. Our kitchen and garden are inclusive to all, and reflect the warmth of the community we serve.
- Health – Olivewood’s programs are centered on wellness and health. We serve as a resource for people looking to live a healthier lifestyle.
Our Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Olivewood staff & board have a deep commitment to community-centrism, collective power, equity, anti-racism, and health where access to healthy food and outdoor spaces is most limited.
Olivewood aims to understand and address systemic injustices by embracing & listening, advocating for, and building capacity to ensure communities impacted by injustice have abundant access to opportunities and resources to prosper.
Olivewood’s purpose is to build healthy families and a healthy environment. We work with children, families and adults through hands on classes in the garden and the kitchen. Our key programs include:
- NSD Support & Children’s Garden Science & Nutrition Education Program
- Youth Health, Urban Agriculture & Leadership Development Program
- Cooking for Salud®
- Kitchenistas® Community Engagement Program
- Food Access Programs
- Volunteer & Internship Programs
- Food System & Advocacy work
- Adult, Child & Family programs