Potato Salad with Fava Beans and Fennel
Garden 2 Kitchen recipe
- 1 lb potatoes scrubbed and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb fava bean pods shelled
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fennel fronds chopped
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place the cut potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water by about an inch, and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Potatoes should be ready in about 8-10 minutes, check at about 8 to see if they are done. If over cooked they will fall apart. Drain and set aside until just cool enough to handle.
- Bring another small pot of water to a boil over high heat and get an ice bath (bowl with water and ice) ready to blanch fava beans. Add the shelled fava beans and boil for 30 seconds to blanch. Quickly remove the beans using the slotted spoon and plunge them into the ice water bath. Let sit until cool then drain.
- Peel the outer layer (skin) off the fava beans by squeezing them out of the shell; they should slip right off.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt & pepper to a large bowl and whisk to make a dressing.
- Add to the same bowl; cooked potatoes, cranberries, fava beans, sliced fennel, fennel fronds, chives and dill; toss to coat in dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, at room temperature or cover and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.