Wheat Berry Salad with Roasted Veggies
- knife, cutting board, medium sauce pan, measuring spoons and cups, baking sheet, small bowl, whisk, large bowl or platter to plate
- ½ cup wheat berries or farro*
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 med or 2 small beets
- 1 small sweet potato
- ½ head cauliflower
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ras el hanout
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas
- ½ bunch parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp agave
- 1-2 TBSP water to thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven heats up add 4 cups of water to a medium sauce pan - turn up to boil and add salt. When boiling add farro & simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- While grains are cooking, peel and chop beets and sweet potatoes into ½ inch pieces. Cut cauliflower into small bite-size pieces. Put all the chopped vegetables on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder & ras al hanout. Place in oven and roast vegetables for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- While grains and vegetables are cooking place all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl and whisk together. Chop parsley and set aside.
- Test grains - when they are al dente, drain in a mesh strainer if there is any amount of water.
- Place grains, roasted veggies and parsley in a bowl - toss. Add dressing to grain salad and toss again. If salad looks dry - add a drizzle of olive oil and toss again. Garnish with pepitas and more parsley if desired. Enjoy!
*If you can’t find Farro you can substitute wheat berries, freekeh, barley or any whole grain you like.